Moffat - The Town To Stop Off At logo Moffat Town :- Amenities of Moffat
Return to :- [Moffat Homepage]
[Description] [Where We Are] [History] [People]
[Attractions] [Events] [Where To Stay] [Where To Eat]
[Moffat Business Index] [Amenities of Moffat]

St. Luke's Roman Catholic Church, Moffat

St. Luke's Roman Catholic Church :

Mansfield Place, Moffat.
Parish Priest : Father Stephen Sharkey,
1, Sherwood Crescent, Lockerbie DG11 2DY.
Tel/Fax : 01576-202563. E-mail:

Click on picture for larger image.

Introduction :

St. Luke's church building started its life in 1865 as an Episcopalian Church, mainly for summer visitors of that communion. In 1872 the building was deconsecrated and became the Mechanics' Hall, after the Episcopalian Church was erected in Millburnside. The old church remained as the Mechanics' Hall until 1896, when it was re-consecrated for the Roman Cathoic communion. Previously, the Moffat Parish of the Roman Catholic Church heard Mass in one of the local hotels. In 1990 the building was restored to its present beauty.

The current permanent congregation of 65 increases considerably during the summer months and in other holidays when visitors come to Moffat. Father Stephen Sharkey divides his time between Holy Trinity R.C. Parish in Lockerbie and St. Luke's Parish.

Scheduled Services :

Mass is heard in St. Luke's at 9.30 a.m. every Sunday morning and usually on Fridays at 10 a.m.

Please contact Father Gerry Donnelly for further information.

Enquiries about this page can also be forwarded by e-mail through

Moffat Business Index website designed and managed by
of Dalbeattie Internet.
Page added to Moffat Business Index on 8th December 1999,
last updated 17th January 2000.